Lifestyle Medicine Education and Skills Development Programs
Lifestyle Medicine in Day-to-Day Practice offers a new series of targeted lifestyle medicine educational and skills development programs. What makes this education unique is its focus on the “how-to” elements of lifestyle medicine -- how to expand your current approaches to treatment and prevention with pragmatic, effective, evidence-based lifestyle medicine interventions.
This year, we offer two lifestyle medicine programs. You can attend one or both programs:
- ACTIVE LIVES: How to help patients initiate and sustain more active lifestyles
December 7 – 8, 2018
- Culinary Health Education Fundamentals (CHEF) Coaching – The Basics
December 6, 2018
These highly interactive learning experiences provide practical education, opportunities to develop state-of-the-art skills, and take-home tools to enable your success in effectively and efficiently helping your patients adopt and sustain lifestyle behaviors that will improve their health and quality of life.
December 7-8, 2018
ACTIVE LIVES focuses on the “how-to” elements of helping patients increase their engagement with and level of physical activity. This includes strategies and skills development for:
- Motivating patients (even reluctant ones) to increase their level of physical activity
- Mastering the core competencies of prescribing exercise
- Integrating exercise prescription into your current approaches to treatment and prevention
- Screening and counseling patients on exercise options
- Performing quick and easy in-office assessment of exercise risk, strength, flexibility, balance and aerobic capacity
- Personalizing exercise (frequency, intensity, time, type) by a patient's age and health conditions
- Counseling and health coaching
- Demonstrating exercises: pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients
- Supporting self-determination while promoting physical activity in older adults
- Applying the new 2018 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans
- Writing exercise prescriptions for patients with disabilities
- Tracking the results of a patient’s physical activity
- Assessing, jumpstarting or advancing your own personal exercise regimen
Participants of this program describe a renewed passion for practicing medicine and increased levels of personal daily physical activity leading to reduced stress, as they themselves learn to pay attention to their own health and to serve as role models for their patients of all ages.
Click here for additional details.
Culinary Health Education Fundamentals (CHEF) Coaching – The Basics
December 6, 2018
Culinary Health Education Fundamentals (CHEF) Coaching – The Basics provides a comprehensive introduction to culinary medicine program – how to quickly and easily guide patients to better nutrition through evidence-based approaches to healthier meals (and meal preparation).
This fun, highly interactive program provides education and skills development to:
- Quickly and effectively educate patients on the health benefits of home-cooked meals
- Recognize why patients don’t cook
- Motivate patients to embrace healthier cooking practices
- Provide guidance to patients for shopping, food storage, and meal preparation
- Translate culinary medicine knowledge and skills into coaching practices to improve the health and nutrition of your patients
Take-Home Tools and Strategies
This program offers a number of innovative strategies and take-home tools, including:
- Lessons from master chefs who provide step-by-step guidance to develop your own culinary skills
- Understanding culinary coaching, the first evidence-based tool to empower patients to adopt home cooking
- Practice of culinary coaching methods with guidance from CHEF Coaching faculty
- Instructions to use telemedicine tools to improve patients' home cooking
- Culinary medicine messages that can be incorporated into a busy doctor’s practice
For YOUR PATIENTS
- Culinary tools to mitigate cardiometabolic risk factors, including checklists for shopping, pantries, kitchen tools, and utilization of ingredients
- Lists of healthy staple ingredients to promote home cooking
- Peer-reviewed culinary videos with vegetable-based staple recipes
- Instructional short videos on how to address home cooking barriers, such as skills and time
Click here for additional details.
Culinary Health Education Fundamentals
(CHEF) Coaching – Beyond the Basics*
Small-Group, Distance Learning Practice Sessions
In the one-day Culinary Health Education Fundamentals (CHEF) Coaching – The Basics workshop, participants gain a mastery of culinary coaching basics. Many clinicians take these newly acquired coaching skills to the next level with a series of five weekly, small-group practice sessions.
These state-of-the-art, distance-learning videoconference sessions provide guidance and skills development to:
- Hone your approach to culinary coaching
- Optimize the efficacy of your coaching with patients and their families
- Improve your own home cooking
- Introduce new culinary practices into your kitchen and those of your patients
- Practice, get feedback and refine your culinary coaching techniques
- Build competencies for prescribing nutrition
*Certificate of Completion in Culinary Coaching
Upon completion of the five Small-Group, Distance Learning Practice Sessions and the one-day program Culinary Health Education Fundamentals (CHEF) Coaching – The Basics, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion in Culinary Coaching from the Institute of Lifestyle Medicine.